We have some hard water in many areas where we live. Several years ago the FDA banned phosphate from dish washing detergents because it caused algae in the lakes and streams. Well, it also caused our dishes to become cloudy and not get clean! So we have a problem! With this recipe, it replaces what is needed for clean dishes!
This is the one that I know works! There are many different recipes that are available but for us – there will never be any experimenting! This works – I know it works so that’s the end of the story for us!
- 2 Cups Borax (found in the laundry aisle)
- 2 Cups Super Washing Soda (found in the laundry aisle)
- 2 Cups Lemi Shine (Found by the dish washing detergent)
- 2 Cups Kosher Salt (Found in the Baking Aisle)
- Combine all ingredients and store in an air tight container.
- Use 2 tablespoon per load. OR Put a Little scoop in your container that looks the right measurement for you! I personally just throw it in the bottom of the dishwasher.
TIP *** TIP *** TIP *** TIP *** TIP *** TIP *** TIP *** TIP
I mixed all my ingredients in an oblong plastic container. The Lemi Shine does tend to harden, so the first 24 hours use your hands and fluff it around about 5-6 times. This allows it to mix really well with the other ingredients. I have not had any problem with the Lemi Shine that I see others talking about. Then store in a container with a fairly air tight lid.
The Lemi Shine container in our area only holds 1.5 cups. So I usually purchase 2 Lemi Shines which gives me 3 total cups. So I make my detergent using 3 Cups of each ingredient instead of 2.
****As for the vinegar as a rinse solution. It doesn’t work for me in our area. May work for you.