The use of maple syrup and balsamic vinegar gives this meatloaf such a good flavor. The recipe includes a Maple Glaze for the top but I have never used it. I basically put together quick and easy recipes. All of my GF recipes are being created with one person in mind! I guess since they are a no nonsense comfort kind of food they have just caught on! Just plain and simple!
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 small sweet or red onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoons KRAFT Ketchup
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg- or omit for egg-free
- 3/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (I use ground up corn flakes it’s cheaper!)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg – (if you don’t have it – it’s ok to omit!)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice – (if you don’t have it – it’s ok to omit!)
- Few shakes of Mrs. Dash garlic & spice or several if you want.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Options for other ingredients according to your taste:
Chopped green chiles or jalapenos if you like the meatloaf spicy.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Really what is there to making a meat loaf? You put it in the bowl and mix it all up! If it’s too dry add a little more ketchup. Too moist? Crumble more cornflakes!
Bake for at least 45 min-1 hour
I have never made the Maple Glaze for the top simply because I didn’t have the ingredients but I will include it. I just mix Ketchup & brown sugar together.
Maple Glaze Recipe
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon
Bake for 45 minutes. At the 45 minute mark spoon on the glaze and cover loosely. Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF