Auntie’s Delicious Soft Pretzels Amish Recipe
Doesn’t this look wonderful! The Amish sure know how to cook. My friend Kelly has lived all her life around the Amish and she has the best recipes!
- 1 1/4 cups water ( approx 105 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups flour
Dip for Pretzels:
- 1/2 cup baking soda, into
- 3 cups hot water
- sweet creamy butter, for ‘dipping’ face of pretzels after baking ( melt butter, then let set a few minutes, and use paper towel to remove cream which will float to the)
- Dissolve yeast into warm water.
- Add sugar, then flour& mix well- do not ‘knead’ as this toughens the dough.
- (Mix just until combined well) Let rise until doubled, at least 20 minutes.
- Cut into long ‘ropes’.
- Shape into pretzel shapes, then dip into prepared dipping solution.
- Place on well-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake at 500-550°F for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Dip face of pretzel into melted butter.
- Variation: add 1 t vanilla to the dough.
- Flavor variations.
- Cinnamon/sugar- omit salt& dip into cinnamon sugar after face has been coated with butter.
- Sour cream& onion- after dipping face of pretzel in butter, sprinkle with sour cream& onion powder Garlic- same as sour cream& onion, but use garlic powder.