In some situations that I have been put in recently, I have found myself emotionally spent and exhausted! Even to the point that my personal life was being compromised. We have to be very careful that we do not become unbalanced and unhealthy emotionally. I had to step back and asked myself some questions about what was going on and why.
Sometimes in our need to help others we find that our own family begins to suffer. Some of us have the personality that people ask us advice or input on difficult circumstances they may be going through.
1. What ways am I really helping that person?
2. Am I loving and giving to that person in surrender to God or am I doing it in my own strength?
3. Do I need to give others some space in order for God to meet their need and not me? But NOT use that as an excuse to not meet their need.
4. When do I stop because my own family is suffering because of my obligation to help someone else?
5. When am I the one God is using to meet their need?
6. How do I know when my time is over with this person?
We can’t all be fixers. It’s a difficult position to be in when you’re trying to determine what you can offer them or can’t offer them. I am trying to come to the realization that I will be as helpful as I can but at the same time give them enough space for the ultimate fixer to do His work too. When He fixes the problem it is done right! He is the only One that can completely fix and restore.